Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Quest for Sweet, Sweet Caffeine

I allow myself just one addiction these days: coffee.

I prefer it black with a side of pie (when possible).

All coffees are welcome. Trucker coffee? Let it pour! Fancy-pants coffeehouse brew? Great! Gas station coffee that's been sitting on the warmer for 17 hours? I'll take a large!

Of course, this presents a problem on the trail. Lack of daily coffee consumption for people of my ilk can result in headaches, irritability and light coma.

I've spent a lot of time on this problem, utilizing Caffeine Delivery Systems (C.D.S.s) with varying results on previous hikes.

Two years ago, I went cold turkey off the stuff and drank tea. I figured the misery of caffeine withdrawal would be lost amid the misery of hiking miles and miles with a dead weight on my back at high elevations.

Having tried that once, I wouldn't recommend it.

Last year, I drank coffee "singles" that consist of tea bags filled with grounds. The system wasn't the greatest, but it was a fairly effective C.D.S.

This year, I want to try something new. Here are a few things I'm considering:

1. Pack in ground coffee and my "camp espresso maker," a small gadget that brews very strong coffee by the espresso-sized cup. Benefits: fresh, strong, tasty coffee. Drawbacks: extra weight.

2. Pack in an alternative caffeinated substance such as Irish breakfast tea. Benefits: little weight, and Irish breakfast tea rocks. Drawbacks: I take my tea with cream and sugar. And, it's not coffee.

3. Pack in coffee beans and chew them each morning. Benefits: efficient caffeine delivery without much weight. Drawbacks: Uncertain effect on intestinal systems.

4. Kidnap a good-looking barista and force him to prepare tasty coffee drinks. Benefits: Great tasting coffee on demand with no weight considerations. Drawbacks: Possible criminal penalties on return to civilization.

Suggestions are welcome.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark Grossi said...

You need to drink more coffee and give us more of your thoughts, Christina!
Mark g.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I can do that...especially if I drink more coffee.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eat chocolate-covered espresso beans!! But I try to avoid caffeine, because it makes me paranoid.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I've considered chocolate-covered beans, but I'm afraid they'll get too melty.

That's worth experimenting on, though. I'll take a baggie of them up on a training hike and report back how they work out.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home