Monday, July 03, 2006

Trail Named for Sheepherder with Lungs of Steel

My search for an alternative butt-kicker landed me in Kings Canyon National Park yesterday on a trail in Cedar Grove.

This trail, named for a sheepherder named Don Cecil, climbs 4,000 feet from Cedar Grove to the top of Lookout Peak above Summit Meadow. It's about a 13-mile roundtrip.

I didn't arrive at the trailhead until about 11:30 a.m. because I did the church thing yesterday, so it was pretty warm by the time I started climbing. Here's a rough chronology of events:

Mile 1: Already sweating vigorously. Pause by Sheep Creek to admire pretty waterfall.

Mile 2: Pause to pant. Resent sun for shining so brightly.

Mile 3: Panting continues. Dizzily rename the trail "The Dead Sheep Trail" in my head. (It made sense at the time).

Mile 3.5: Sit on rock to drink some water. A downhill hiker appears and offers me extra water. Although I still have two liters on me, I take it.

She cheerfully tells me how many groups are ahead of me and suggests I shouldn't be the last one out since I'm hiking alone. She shows me a large rock in her pocket, which she indicates is to fight off mountain lions.

I nod. I'm pretty certain mountain lions attack from behind, and I'd be dead as a doornail if one decided to attack me. Still, I decide not to shatter her security in the mountain lion rock. After all, she gave me water.

Mile 4.5: Pass another fork of sheep creek and eat lunch. Mmmm...turkey jerky.

Mile 6: Arrive at Summit Meadow. Although I hadn't planned to climb Lookout Peak, decide I'll kick myself if I don't go ahead and do it. Unable to see any clearly marked trail, I begin walking nearly straight up the side of the thing.

Mile 6.5: After scrambling like a bug, manage to perch myself on top of boulders on the peak. Admire view. Make stupid face for disposable camera photo.

Mile 10: The mosquitos begin swarming in front of my face, prompting me to wave them away about every 8 seconds.

Mile 11: I hate mosquitos.

Mile 12: Arrive at Sheep Creek. Fill my hat with ice cold water and dump it on my head. Decide it may have been the best moment of the entire day.

Mile 13: Blow kisses to my Honda Civic at the end of the trail. Happily remove boots. Eat large cheeseburger.

Overall, I was pleased with the trail. While it involved a lot of climbing, it didn't have any incredibly steep patches, and it was very well-maintained. Don Cecil should be proud.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to see the picture with the stupid face...

4:04 PM  
Blogger Mark Grossi said...

Yes, show pictures...we wanna see.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I'll post it when I get it developed.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vance, you rock. You rocked in Bakersfield and I am pleased to know you continue to rock, north of Bakersfield. Happy hiking, woman! I'm enjoying the blog. I grew up running wild in the woods of Michigan, myself. Go Midwest! Represent! I'm sorry we never got a chance to hike together while you were here — Colleen Jiron

9:42 AM  
Blogger BakoLois said...

What about the mountain lion?

P.S. You really shouldn't hike alone

10:42 AM  
Blogger Danielle Belton said...

Wonderful. But me and Lois are on the same team here. But you already know that and I've stopped kvetching at you about it, you crazy, crazy, hiking woman.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Holy crap! It's like a Bakersfield EXPLOSION on the comments section.

Well gang, thanks for the hiking encouragement.

Colleen: Midwesterners are Da Bomb! If you ever head up to Yosemite and want a hiking buddy, feel free to look me up.

Erin: Thanks. I'll play "Dueling Banjos" in my head as I'm hiking in honor of our people.

Chris: Maybe a blowgun? That would be pretty lightweight.

Lois and Danielle: While it's true that hiking alone is generally a bad idea, the odds of getting attacked by a mountain lion are extremely slim. I'm a lot more likely to get killed in a car accident while driving to the park.

I'll also admit that I'm too lazy to always arrange for hiking partners (and too stubborn to avoid hiking because of it).

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought No. 1: You stopped drinking alcohol??????
Thought No. 2: Hey, Devil's Postpile and the Minarets are among God's greatest creations.
Thought No. 3: You stopped drinking alcohol? While living in Bakersfield???????
FCE

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home