Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Harry Potter and the Magical Mystery Water Wand

Some friends gave me a gift certificate to a hiking store for my 28th birthday, and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

I've been tinkering with my pool of gear for a few years now, and I'm still happy with my titanium spork, teeny pocket knife/scissors, headlamp and other wonders. But, there was one thing I've been meaning to change: my water purification system.

For years, I've been using iodine tablets. Not surprisingly, they taste pretty crappy and turn the water an unsettling rust color. A second tablet removes a lot of the bad taste, and Gatorade powder covers what's left.

I've resisted buying a water-cleaning pump because they always seemed like a hassle to me. So when researching a new water purification system, I came across the Magical Mystery Water Wand (my name for it).

Basically, it's a wand you stick into the water. You flick a switch, and the thing zaps the water with UV light for a number of seconds. Then, you can drink it. Magic!

Here's a link to the magical device, which claims to use "science" to purify the water: http://www.hydro-photon.com

I'm hesitant to invest in this contraption because I'm not sure I believe it works. I mean, I want to believe. I like Harry Potter and everything, but I'm skeptical that he's invented a water wand for hiking muggles. I feel like I'd have to say, "Shazam!" or something each time I used the thing.

Anyway, I may just buy some (much cheaper) chlorine drops and invest the remainder of my dough in other ways.

I cheerfully told my friends that their birthday gift may be that of regular bowel function on the trail. I know that's what they wanted to hear.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Grossi said...

OK, Appalachian Lady, I'm glad you're going with chlorine pills. Out here, we want to know what's going on with the Bakersfield connection. Your blog is on the web page down there? Being a Bakersfield guy, I know those folks move swiftly, but how 'bout Fresno? How come we're not reading this stuff on the Fresno page?? Inquiring minds want to know ...

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The weand, if it works, seems like a good idea. I like the fact that they publish all their testing results on the web site - thought I haven't taken the time to actually read them.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home